Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Baby Deer ...

Earlier this week, walking across a field in Michigan, I startled a very small baby deer, or fawn, in the tall grass -- he started running ... and the dogs were after him ... and I ran to try to save him.

The fawn was very small -- smaller than canines ...

Leo the dog was on him, and had him in his mouth, and the fawn was crying when I got there and fought him off of the fawn.  With Leo out of the way, I now between him and the fawn, Nashoba came up and gently touched noses with the fawn ... they stayed that way for a bit, and then the fawn then again got afraid and started running ... and again I was chasing the dogs and fighting them off ...

If it were just Nashoba, my wolf, there wouldn't be a problem.  He listens and is very gentle with other animals ... but Leo is not gentle ... he is a killer ...

Fortunately, some adult deer showed up to help me [its parents?] ... perhaps it was only one ... but the large deer would run into the bushes and brush where Leo was hunting the fawn, and then Leo would come out of the brush chasing the adult ... this cycle went on a number of times before I got Leo under control ... I think he had completely run out of energy!

I hope the fawn was OK -- I think he was.

No comments:

Post a Comment